HOME QUOTES SCANDAL$ VIETNAM EDUCATION ENVIRONMENT WOMEN RELIGION GENOCIDE DRUGS MONEY WELFARE FORUM ABOUT

[Randy Cunningham Photo] The Unauthorized Randy “Duke” Cunningham Page

Randy “Duke” Cunningham Forum

Forum Index
 Cunningham's Purple Heart
Author: john 
Date:   2006-12-17 21:38:18

Wikipedia lists Cunningham as receiving the Purple Heart for, "wounds he received under enemy fire."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_%22Duke%22_Cunningham

I do not recall him being wounded. But perhaps he was.

So my question is: Was he actually wounded? To what extent? Or was the Purple Heart simply awarded to any one and all who were shot down? Does anyone know of Cunningham's Purple Heart details?

Re: Cunningham's Purple Heart
Author: Paul 
Date:   2006-12-18 04:07:07

He was injured ejecting out of the F-4 after that last dog fight. Many of us caught purples for using that Martin-Baker back breaker.

Author: LB 
Date:   2006-12-21 09:25:20

<<
So I repeat. Was he truly "wounded" and injured? If so, to what extent? More than Willie? Does anyone know?>>

I never heard of him receiving any injuries, even from the ejection. That F-4 he left had the newer rocket-powered seats which greatly reduced the back injuries as with the older seats.

There was a fellow in VF-92 who injured his back with one of the newer seats, but he had an IMMEDIATE ejection (along with the RIO) when is a/c went out of control on approach to the deck.....so he wasn't in, and had no time to be properly positioned for ejection.

Date:   2006-12-21 11:24:20

Again, not defending him. But as to possible injuries using the F-4J's rocket seat. Cunningham and Driscoll supposedly flew with lose seat pan straps so they could move around easier. The F-4 that he jumped from was out of control, no tail. So they both could have been tossed around the cockpit pretty good.

I ejected using the North American rocket seat in the T-2 (yes, the fuel c/b was in) and the old Martin Baker in the F-8. Both were controlled ejections. The rocket seat was much easier on me that the old Martin Baker.

I do not begrudge Cunningham his purple heart.

Date:   2006-12-21 22:01:18

Raz - "Properly Positioned?" You know when you and Evelyn are playing with the saddle, jumper cables and motor oil and she has you tied spread eagle on the bed . . . . that I paid for!!!!" That, Ensign, is properly positioned!

The other stuff would just scare you.

Author: LB 
Date:   2006-12-22 12:43:40

<What is 'properly positioned'? >>

Well Missionary is fairly proper...but doggie is the most proper position.

Looking up Evelyn's dress while she's sitting in that tower begging you to "come on up, Scoot" is NOT a proper position.

The Fine Print: The above comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way (Communications Decency Act, 47 USC ยง 230). In compliance with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998, we do not accept postings from children under 13 years of age. Privacy notice: messages posted to this forum are public. Trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. The rest copyright © 2001-2012 Dan E. Anderson. All rights reserved.

HOME QUOTES SCANDAL$ VIETNAM EDUCATION ENVIRONMENT WOMEN RELIGION GENOCIDE DRUGS MONEY WELFARE FORUM ABOUT

[Blue Ribbon] [Bottom 5% Web Site] Copyright © 1996-2012 Dan E. Anderson. All rights reserved.
This page is not authorized or approved by anyone, but I hope you enjoy it. About this website.

If you have comments (hate mail, praise, jokes, corrections, constructive criticism, or destructive criticism), please send me (Dan Anderson) a secure private message. You can read other people's comments here.

http://dukecunningham.org/forum/read.php/2274
[Best viewed with 20/20 vision]