HOME QUOTES SCANDAL$ VIETNAM EDUCATION ENVIRONMENT WOMEN RELIGION GENOCIDE DRUGS MONEY WELFARE FORUM ABOUT

[Randy Cunningham Photo] The Unauthorized Randy “Duke” Cunningham Page

Randy “Duke” Cunningham Forum

Forum Index
 Saufley Field
Author: Bill Granade 
Date:   2006-03-13 11:11:47

Paul,

I received my Wings of Gold in April '67. There were many good Happy Hours spent at the Saufley Field BOQ bar.

Never heard of the "Cake Walk" though.

My brother flew back seat F4's in Duke's sister squadron during Duke's Ace period.

Last Spring, I visited Saufley after being away for 40 years. The BOQ is history and the Fed Prision is going full throttle.

You may be surprised to hear that Saufley is still used for Touch and Goes training by the Navy.

Re: Saufley Field
Author: Paul 
Date:   2006-03-13 15:52:45

Bill, I went through ahead of you. I went through Saufley in April of '64. It was so hard the to get a Jet seat at that time, that we called it the 'Saufley Field Cake Walk' in typical Naval Aviator fashion, making light of a tough situation.

Perhaps Duke will be send to Saufley, wouldn't that be a slam!

Author: Scott aka RazMaTaz 
Date:   2006-03-13 19:51:07

Bill Granade wrote:
My brother flew back seat F4's in Duke's sister squadron during Duke's Ace period.

Bill, what squadron was it, and was it on the Connie?
Scott

Date:   2006-03-13 23:10:43

VF-91

Date:   2006-03-14 07:04:23

Paul,

Yes, that would: start and finish, same base! I have really enjoyed
reading the Duke posts for the last couple of months. What a site! I
was in class 1965. It took me a couple of days to figure out the class
code. Thought the DI was telling us what year it was......silly me.

I went the VP pipe line, P2Vs out of NAS JAX. Great Airline training!
Too bad they were not hiring in 1970.

I wish you well,

Bill Tampa, Fl

Hi Bill -

You should be glad that the airlines were not hiring. Naval Aviators are not one-trick ponies. If we have the talent to get through that training and live, we can do anything . . .

Take care Shipmate.

o

Author: Bill Granade 
Date:   2006-03-16 18:23:49

Scott,

My brother was in VF92 and flew off the Connie in the early 70's. He then went to Meridian and worked with one of the Training squadrons. His name was Walt. Walt retired to Sunny Florida in 91.

OK 2 wire,

Bill

Date:   2006-03-16 20:48:56

Bumped my head, it was VF-92. Loosing it.

Author: lb 
Date:   2006-03-17 09:26:42

Author: Scott aka RazMaTaz (—-.cruzio.com)
Date: 03-13-06 19:51

Bill Granade wrote:

Bill, what squadron was it, and was it on the Connie?
Scott

Author: Paul (—-.wavecable.com)
Date: 03-13-06 23:10

VF-91

==============

WRONG. No such squardron as "VF-91".

Date:   2006-03-17 10:13:14

LB - Read the post above your post.

There was a VF-91, old air group 9 US Navy in 1961 & '62 VF-91was aboard the USS Ranger CVA-61.

Now for the question of the day, and a free beer in the J.O. bunkroom, "What was the Ranger's call sign?"

Date:   2006-03-17 12:20:36

Ranger correct I believe.

America - Courage
Connie - War Chief

also

The Hawk - City Desk
Enterprise - Climax (Best call sign going - no joy Climax (you tellin' me.)
Lex - Gray Ghost
Saufley Field - VT-1 - Souix Falls
VF-102 - First Milkvine(like in Milktoast, then "Diamondback"
VF-143 - Taproom, called the Pukin' Dogs.
VF-124 - Gunfighter
Independence - Gun Train
Saratoga - Fairfield or Pier 60
Hermes - Brit carrier - Wicket (Like in sticky)
and last and certainly least,
Pigpen and Bullseye - Hiphong and Hanoi

Redcrown - The northern PIRZ that tried often to kill us all.

Author: lb 
Date:   2006-03-17 16:59:50

Redcrown - The northern PIRZ that tried often to kill us all.>>>

Awwww....we used to the give RedCrown crew a thrill now and then by buzzing the boat...really REALLY CLOSE!!!!! and of course really REALLY FAST.

One BARCAP flight we decided to see if we could bring some MiGs out, so we descended to 150' or so. Of course we disappeared from the VN radar....but also from Red Crown's. Sure enough, the VN mustuv thought we had crashed as here come some blips on our radar coming out to see what was going on.

Locked on, full burner, popped up.. watched the closure rate drop from 1000 to 500 and then zero...Migs at 13 miles. And Red Crown SCREAMING at us to TURN AROUND we were about to VIOLATE the NVN Airspace. Of all the dastardly things to do, eh? AND of course we got a stern lecture back at the boat.

Date:   2006-03-17 17:51:14

You know LB a lot of brass over there really did not have much of a sense of humor! $hit we're just J.O.s having some fun!

The Fine Print: The above comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way (Communications Decency Act, 47 USC ยง 230). In compliance with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998, we do not accept postings from children under 13 years of age. Privacy notice: messages posted to this forum are public. Trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. The rest copyright © 2001-2012 Dan E. Anderson. All rights reserved.

HOME QUOTES SCANDAL$ VIETNAM EDUCATION ENVIRONMENT WOMEN RELIGION GENOCIDE DRUGS MONEY WELFARE FORUM ABOUT

[Blue Ribbon] [Bottom 5% Web Site] Copyright © 1996-2012 Dan E. Anderson. All rights reserved.
This page is not authorized or approved by anyone, but I hope you enjoy it. About this website.

If you have comments (hate mail, praise, jokes, corrections, constructive criticism, or destructive criticism), please send me (Dan Anderson) a secure private message. You can read other people's comments here.

http://dukecunningham.org/forum/read.php/1388
[Best viewed with 20/20 vision]